I am a third-year computer science Ph.D. student supervised by Dr. Steven Salzberg and Dr. Mihaela Pertea at Center for Computational Biology, Johns Hopkins University. I received my Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from National Taiwan University (NTU). In my senior year of college, I went on exchange to study at the College of Engineering & Computer Science, Australian National University (ANU).
My primary research interest is designing ultra-fast algorithms for computational genomics, specifically targeting transcriptome (RNA sequencing), gene annotation and genome assembly. I am also a big fan of open source software. Check out my NEWS and GitHub page.
- Kuan-Hao Chao*, K. Barton, S. Palmer, and R. Lanfear* (2021). sangeranalyseR: simple and interactive processing of Sanger sequencing data in R, Genome Biology and Evolution
- Kuan-Hao Chao*, A.V. Zimin, M. Pertea, S.L. Salzberg* (2023). The first gapless, reference-quality, fully annotated genome from a Southern Han Chinese individual, G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics
- Kuan-Hao Chao*†, Pei-Wei Chen†, Sanjit A. Seshia, Ben Langmead* (2023). WGT: Tools and algorithms for recognizing, visualizing and generating Wheeler graphs, iScience
- Kuan-Hao Chao*, Alan Mao, Steven L Salzberg, Mihaela Pertea* (2023). Splam: a deep-learning-based splice site predictor that improves spliced alignments, bioRxiv
- RECOMB-seq Proceeding Talk, Research in Computational Molecular Biology on Biological Sequence Analysis, Istanbul, Türkiye, 2023, Link
- ISMB/ECCB Poster, Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology / European Conference on Computational Biology 2023, Lyon, France, 2023, Link
- BDS Poster, Biological Data Science, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, 2022, Link
- Ph.D. Student in Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Sep/2021 - Present
- M.S.E. in Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Sep/2021 - May/2023
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, National Taiwan University, Sep/2016 - Jan/2021
- Research Assistant, Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica, Jul/2020 - Jan/2021
- Research Student, Research School of Biology, The Australian National University, Jul/2019 - Jun/2020
- Research Student, Centers of Genomic and Precision Medicine, National Taiwan University, Aug/2018 - Jul/2019
- Biobaby, Unity WebGL game, Play it now!
- Flappy penguin, Unity WebGL game, Play it now!
- Tank fire, Unity WebGL game, Play it now!
- Johns Hopkins University
- EN.580.458 / 658 Computing the Transcriptome, Teaching assistant, Spring 2023
- National Taiwan University
- CSX 4001 Data Science Programming, Teaching assistant, Spring 2019
- EE 1006 Cornerstone EECS Design and Implementation, Teaching assistant, Fall 2018
- Chromatographia: 2023
- Nature Machine Intelligence: 2023
- G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics: 2022